- NewsPA Media: UK News
Instagram posts viewed by Molly Russell before her death are too disturbing even for lawyers and police to look at for too long, a pre-inquest heard.
Charlize Theron posted a sweet tribute to daughters August, 5, and Jackson, 8, in honor of National Daughter’s Day
Milly Squires is still trying to figure out how her athletic and healthy 22-year-old boyfriend died after jumping off the cliffs at the Mactaquac Headpond on Wednesday afternoon. Aranyam Bora, who usually went by Ary, was a competitive bodybuilder and martial artist and was in incredible physical condition, said Squires, a McAdam native and third-year St. Thomas University student. Squires said Bora told her he was going cliff diving at the headpond, about 20 kilometres west of Fredericton, with a friend on Wednesday.She said he was a bit of daredevil and had previously talked about jumping off bridges. She said she didn't worry about him until he didn't text her "good night" at the end of the day. Several text messages to him went unanswered and, by Thursday morning, she started to panic. She contacted the friend who was with him at Mactaquac the day before and heard what happened. His body was found by RCMP divers just before noon on Thursday. Bora was a fourth-year St. Thomas University student, majoring in political science and international relations. He was from India and came to New Brunswick to study. Squires said she and Bora were opposites — she the introvert, and he "just the absolute opposite." She recalls sitting with him under a bridge this past summer and him trying to flag down boaters to try to make new friends. "He was wonderful … kind, caring, so compassionate. He loved life. He loved his family so much. He loved India and he loved just making people smile."Squires said he was the life of the party. "He brought a smile to everyone's face who knew him. His energy was just contagious as soon as you walked into any room with him." She has spoken with the friend who was with Bora. She said the woman used his phone to film his cliff diving for his Instagram account. Squires hopes the footage will help determine what happened to him. The RCMP, although they haven't named him, said Bora initially surfaced but soon started to appear in distress. They say a witness jumped in to try to help but was unsuccessful and he went under and didn't resurface. Squires was told that Bora appeared to be fine after the jump, but soon started flailing his arms. The friend tried to help, but "he just kept pushing her under." She managed to get back to shore, but he didn't. Squires hopes the cellphone footage will help give some answers. RCMP Const. Hans Ouellette said an autopsy will be performed to determine the cause of death. No other details were available, he said. Squires said she had never been to the cliffs at the Mactaquac Headpond and doesn't think Bora had ever been there either. Sarah Kohut, the president of the St. Thomas University Students' Union, wasn't familiar with the cliffs either and said she wasn't sure how well-known they were to students. But locals say the spot has been popular with young people for decades. Larry Jewett, who owns the Mactaquac Marina, has lived in the area his whole life and people have been jumping off the cliffs for as long as he can remember. He said people continued to frequent the site even after NB Power, which owns the land, erected a fence and signs a few years ago. The cliffs are located between the dam and the Riverside Resort. A dirt road leads from the main road, but there's a gate across it. "People were still getting around," said Jewett. Mactaquac fire Chief Murray Crouse is also familiar with the area. He said the fencing, even with signs, "doesn't seem to deter them." He said it's about a six or seven-metre drop to the surface of the headpond and about 15 metres (50 feet) of water below. "There's lots of water there, so I'm not sure what happened," Crouse said on Friday. The water on Thursday morning was still about 19 C, he said. When asked about whether young people should dive at the site, he said, "They probably shouldn't, but I don't know how you would stop it." One of the signs, posted at the gate says, "Danger. Keep out. Access beyond this point may result in drowning."Since the measures were put in place in 2015, the gate has been wrecked, barbed wire at the top of the fence has been cut, and a hole was made through the fence. Despite repeated attempts by CBC News, a spokesperson for NB Power did not not respond to a request for an interview. The impact of Bora's death, meanwhile, has "resonated" across STU's small campus, where "everyone knows everyone," said Kohut. She encourages anyone who may be struggling to reach out. She said the university is providing a number of resources, including drop-in sessions in the student lounge in Sir James Dunn Hall on Saturday and Monday from noon to 4 p.m. For those off-campus, an online Zoom session has been organized for Saturday at noon.
"Unfortunately I won't be able to play the French Open this year," Osaka said in a previous statement, citing a sore hamstring
- NewsThe Canadian Press
Toronto's top public health official has ordered the closure of three restaurants along a stretch of King Street West in the city's downtown.Dr. Eileen de Villa issued the order late Friday after contact-tracing data showed people with COVID-19 were employed at more than one of these restaurants.In addition, Toronto Public Health says one of the restaurants has served food buffet style, which is prohibited under provincial regulations because of the pandemic. The department identified the three closed restaurants as MARBL, Casa Mezcal and King Taps, which are all within 10 city blocks of each other.The health unit says it's in the process of ordering the closure of a fourth establishment, but didn't provide details.The closures come after the Ford government announced bars and restaurants across Ontario must now shut down by midnight and stop serving alcohol by 11 p.m. in response to a rise in COVID-19 cases.A 10 p.m. curfew in bars and restaurants ordered by the British government this week was followed by protests by thousands of people Saturday in London's Trafalgar Square. In July, when Toronto was still in Stage 2 of reopening, the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario announced an investigation into MARBL after a video emerged on social media showing dozens of patrons crammed into a semi-indoor space.The video, which also showed staff failing to wear masks, prompted outrage online.This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept. 26, 2020.The Canadian Press
For 16 years, Edmonton retiree Jack McGuire and his wife wintered in Mexico. But like countless other snowbirds, the pandemic has interrupted their usual migration south.Instead, McGuire is planning a 10-day canoe trip in B.C. while he polishes up his snowblower. He'll see snow for the first time in eight years."I'm really disappointed," McGuire told CBC News. "Winter is not real healthy here for a lot of people because the streets are slippery. Older people have to be a little more cautious and we get a lot more exercise down in Mexico than we do here."I'm going to look for a pair of winter boots. I've got some cross-country skis that I never sold in the last garage sale."Although Mexican resorts have reopened, McGuire remains cautious."I don't have any underlying health problems, but you still don't want to end up in a hospital in a foreign country," he said.Quarantining 'real deterrent'According to the Canadian Snowbird Association, McGuire is one of roughly 350,000 Canadians who travel south annually, now faced with an abrupt change in retirement plans.Some, like McGuire, are travelling in Canada, according to Lesley Paull, owner of Paull Travel in Edmonton. But international travel is slow."These next three or four months, people are just kind of hanging on," Paull said."A lot of people really want to travel, but the thought of going for a week or two or three somewhere — and coming back and quarantining for two weeks — is a real deterrent." At the Leduc Lions Campground, manager Tamara Carmichael and her husband are trying to figure out what to do.The couple, like many full time RV dwellers, prepaid last year for their usual spot in Yuma, Ariz."So it leaves us in a position here where you're basically paying your rent twice," Carmichael said. "And honestly, a lot of snowbirds go south in the winter because it's cheaper. So now we're looking at paying twice and paying more money if we have to go in somewhere here. And financially, we're not in that tax bracket."As RV parks in B.C. that offer winter camping fill up, some are choosing another option.Terry Shoemaker is storing the motorhome he usually takes down to Arizona and settling into a hotel suite in Edmonton where he's determined to make the most of it."I might buy myself a heat lamp and a bag of sand and a little kiddie pool, put it in the suite and that'll be my summer place," Shoemaker joked.