Hmmm... the page you're looking for isn't here. Try searching above.
  • “That’s What He Was Getting At”: White House Tries To Explain Why Donald Trump Retweeted Chuck Woolery’s Claim That “Everyone Is Lying” About Coronavirus

    White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany was asked Monday to explain why President Donald Trump retweeted former game show host Chuck Woolery's claim that "everyone is lying" about the coronavirus, including the Centers for Disease Control, as a way to keep the economy coming back before the election. A reporter asked McEnany, "The president retweeted […]

  • Dubas impressed by Leafs' commitment heading into camp; Matthews ready for camp

    TORONTO - Kyle Dubas could only watch as his Maple Leafs went through their paces the last few weeks.Phase 2 of the NHL's return-to-play protocol featured voluntary on- and off-ice workouts with plenty of social distancing and, at least to start, no coaches. The players were basically on their own to set up drills, push each other and prepare for a potential league restart that was far from certain.Toronto's general manager came away impressed by what he saw, and hopes that commitment pays off when the games matter."We had been on them from the beginning about their conditioning level," Dubas said Sunday of the conversations with players since the season was suspended in March because of COVID-19. "Their fitness is going to be really important for us as we begin rolling. That was something that we hammered home to them on every Zoom call and conference call."That's been a real positive."The Leafs and 23 other teams are primed to get an unusual summer training camp going Monday morning, the next sign post in the league's plan to resume its pandemic-halted campaign.Dubas expects his roster, which has been in town for at least the last week, to hit the ground running.And Auston Matthews - the star centre who The Toronto Sun reported last month had tested positive for COVID-19 in Arizona - is among them and ready to go."Auston is fit to play," Dubas said in his shortest answer of a 40-minute video conference call with reporters.The Leafs, who were in a playoff spot at the time the NHL schedule was stopped in its tracks, are preparing to take on the Columbus Blue Jackets in the best-of-five qualifying round for a right to make the usual 16-team playoffs.Even though Toronto now has to win three more games than the usual 16 to reach its ultimate goal, there won't be any griping."I don't think it's unfair," Dubas said. "The NHL has done a great job of building out its plan and trying to execute this as safely as possible."That includes the naming of Toronto, along with Edmonton, as a hub city that will host 12 clubs in a so-called "bubble" away from the general public."The only advantage is that we don't have a flight to get here," Dubas said. "We'll just take a bus."The NHL's return-to-play plan to resume the season was tied to a new collective bargaining agreement that spelled out some of the harsh economic realities facing the league, its teams and players in the coming years.One aspect that could impact the Leafs is the fact the US$81.5-million salary cap will remain stagnant for the foreseeable future. Some observers believe that means there's even more pressure to win now, but Dubas doesn't see it that way with the likes of Matthews, Mitch Marner and William Nylander signed long-term."If we were facing a situation where some of our core players' (contracts) were up at the end of this year ... I would feel a bit differently," he said. "But with everyone signed going into this off-season, we're going to have some space to take care of our restricted free agents that we have and potentially look at some of our own UFAs."I don't feel this season there should be any added expectation. The players have an expectation and we have an expectation that we're going to be competitive and that we're trying to contend."Toronto's script was already a page-turner before the coronavirus knocked hockey, and the rest of the sports world, off its axis. There was Marner's contract resolution, off-ice issues that grabbed headlines, a coaching change, an embarrassing loss to emergency backup goalie and Zamboni driver David Ayres, and maddeningly inconsistent performances from a talent-rich group.Dubas expects to learn plenty about his team in the coming weeks and months."This is so different and it's a major challenge," he said. "It's an opportunity to win the Stanley Cup by being able to be focused on what we're doing each day, and our commitment to one another, our commitment to the protocols that are in place to keep each other healthy and keep each other safe and keep our community safe."If we're willing and able to get uncomfortable and accept some of the differences that we're experiencing, and in the way that we normally do things, and embrace those differences and embrace the uncomfortability of what we're dealing with, I think it's a great growth opportunity."That path, which now requires 19 victories, starts Monday. This report by The Canadian Press was first published July 12, 2020.___Follow @JClipperton_CP on TwitterJoshua Clipperton, The Canadian Press

  • Olivia Culpo's Boyfriend Christian McCaffrey Reacts to Her SI Swimsuit Cover: 'A Constant Inspiration'

    Sports Illustrated's 2020 Swimsuit Issue features Olivia Culpo, Kate Bock and Jasmine Sanders on the cover

  • People

    Kelly Preston's Life and Career in Photos

    The actress, mother and wife of John Travolta died on July 12, 2020, after a two-year battle with breast cancer

  • Nigerian man plans to say goodbye to Canada after 10 years of immigration limbo

    After 10 years in Canada, Alpha Ndamati is resigned to giving up the immigration process, and is now actively trying to get deported. After years of red tape trying to become a permanent resident, the Nigerian man has been asking to leave the country and go home. But he's been given little direction on how to do so, and is asking why something he thought would be straightforward - immigrating to the N.W.T. - has left him at the end of his rope."I'm left dumbfounded," he said. "I don't wish this situation for my worst enemy." His bags are packed, and he's telling his story in hopes that no one else has to repeat his experience. Ndamati says he can't afford a ticket home himself, so he's trying to get a removal order issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada or the Canada Border Services Agency, forcing him to go. But he doesn't know how."If it means going back home, I'm willing to do that. But I don't want to see anybody go through the ordeal that I've gone through to get something that looks simple."Years of trying to stayWhen he graduated from Dalhousie University in 2014, he was hopeful that he could find his way into permanent residency within the three years before his post-graduate studies visa expired.Ndamati stayed in Halifax looking for a job, before moving to B.C. to work in the oil and gas sector and then onto Yellowknife about halfway through his visa.He says we wanted to move to the N.W.T. for a long time. When he saw online what appeared to be a seemingly straightforward immigration process with the territory's nominee program, he was sold.In June 2016, he got a job working at Corothers Home Hardware, and after six months of employment they agreed to help him apply for the territory's employer-driven nominee program. If you advertise for me to come in, and I come in, and you push me out like this. \- Alpha NdamatiBut the application failed to meet all the requirements and was denied, forcing Ndamati through more hoops. Despite help from a local law firm, and losing $2,000 to a dubious consultant he met through church, his last work visa expired in September 2019.He has reached out to MLAs for advice, as well as the federal government, and has been in touch with the Nigerian embassy in Ottawa. He says he has twice reached out to MP Michael McLeod's office to no avail. (McLeod's office wouldn't comment, pointing CBC to Canada Border Services Agency.)He gave up on the visa application process, feeling it was hopeless, and stopped working all together out of fears that he would be committing a crime and get deported. But now all of his savings have dried up, and not wanting to go through the process again, he is asking Canada to send him back."This has been 10 years. I'm not supposed to be in this position if I've done everything outlined that I should do."No direction on how to stay, or how to leaveA few months ago he says he called the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA), asking them how he could start the process of being deported. He says the agency told him that leaving the N.W.T. was under the RCMP's jurisdiction.So, a couple of weeks ago, he says he went to Yellowknife's RCMP detachment to get sent out of the country, only to be told that it was the responsibility of the CBSA. A spokesperson for Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada told CBC that the border services agency is responsible for immigration enforcement.A spokesperson for the CBSA noted in an email that "any persons subject to a removal order can voluntarily depart the country and validate their removal from Canada at the CBSA office at the port of departure."CBC asked the agency how someone such as Ndamati can obtain a removal order, if they are willingly opting to leave but have not been told to, but did not hear back by the time of publication.N.W.T. immigrationImmigration is ultimately something that falls under federal jurisdiction, but nominee programs aim to allow provinces and territories to attract and select the newcomers to fill critical labour shortages and promote business development.The N.W.T. provides a nomination certificate to successful applicants, who then apply to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada for a review of whether the applicant is admissible to Canada.In 2017, the territorial government released its first-ever Northwest Territories' Immigration Strategy, a five-year plan to boost the nominee program.A spokesperson for the territory's Department of Education, Culture, and Employment told CBC that in the past three years they have taken multiple steps to encourage foreign nationals to settle in the territory, including promoting the program and making more information available online.The department said that in 2018 and 2019, approximately 80 per cent of complete applications submitted to the program were approved. And while they used to assess incomplete applications, they no longer do.But unfortunately, in cases like Ndamati's, some people don't always get the result they hoped for. The department says this can happen for multiple reasons, including the employee moving out of the territory, the application not meeting program criteria, and the employer withdrawing the application. For Ndamati, he's looking forward to putting years of confusion behind him. He just hopes it doesn't happen to anyone else."I don't understand. If you advertise for me to come in, and I come in, and you push me out like this."

  • Dancing With the Stars' Tom Bergeron Out as Host After 15 Years

    Dancing With the Stars is parting ways with longtime host Tom Bergeron, who says he will not return to the ABC competition series for Season 29. "Just informed @DancingABC will be continuing without me," Bergeron announced on Twitter late Monday afternoon. "It's been an incredible 15 year run and the most unexpected gift of my […]