- News The Daily Beast
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are being urged to be “more gracious” about the terms of their departure from the royal family after they issued a bitter and petulant statement over the weekend, following the Queen’s decision that they are to be banned from using the name “Sussex Royal.”“Let’s just hope they feel they have got whatever they want to get out of their system,” insiders told the Daily Mail: “It was their decision to do this and the family is clearly trying their best to facilitate it. But it inevitably requires sacrifices on both sides and the Sussexes need to be rather more gracious about it. Sniping from the sidelines doesn’t help anyone.”Prince Harry and Meghan Go to War With the Royals-and Sabotage ThemselvesThe statement posted by Harry and Meghan appeared to complain of unfair treatment compared to other royals, saying that their trademark applications only mirrored those gained by William and Kate and seemed to reference Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie when it said, “While there is precedent for other titled members of the royal family to seek employment outside of the institution, for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, a 12-month review period has been put in place.”Officials are now reportedly keen for there to be no escalation or “war of words” between family members. Meanwhile, it has been reported that while the Queen has been publicly supportive of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s decision to step down as senior royals, she “generally doesn’t want to talk about it,” according to a source quoted by Vanity Fair.The source said: “The Queen has been keen to get this resolved because she sees it is damaging to the monarchy and on a personal level I think this has been rather hurtful for her. “She has got to the point where she doesn’t want to think about it anymore, she just wants it over and done with.”There will be a series of awkward final public appearances for the couple later this month in the U.K.Harry is due to attend a recording session at the legendary Abbey Road studios in London with Jon Bon Jovi. On March 5, Meghan and Harry are both due to attend the Endeavor Awards in London, on March 6 Harry opens a motor museum, on March 7 the couple are due to attend a London musical gala, on March 8 Meghan is expected to mark International Women’s Day in London and the trip will culminate with the couple joining the royal family at the Commonwealth Day service at Westminster Abbey on March 9. It is expected that this uncomfortable family gathering will be the couple’s last outing as senior working members of the royal family. Read more at The Daily Beast.Get our top stories in your inbox every day. Sign up now!Daily Beast Membership: Beast Inside goes deeper on the stories that matter to you. Learn more.
- News CBC
Canada is preparing to respond to a possible pandemic as the number of coronavirus cases continues to climb around the globe.Chief Public Health Officer Theresa Tam said the global threat posed by the novel coronavirus, which can lead to a respiratory illness called COVID-19, is evolving fast. While the outbreak continues to be contained mostly to the epicentre in Hubei, China, she noted that the virus is spreading now at the community level, person-to-person, in several other countries."These signs are concerning, and they mean that the window of opportunity for containment ... for stopping the global spread of the virus, is closing," Tam told reporters in a teleconference Monday."It also tells countries like Canada, that have been able to manage and detect cases so far, that we have to prepare across governments, across communities, and as families and individuals, in the event of more widespread transmission in our community."The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared the outbreak a public health emergency of international concern, but so far hasn't declared it a pandemic.Tam said the trajectory of the coronavirus is unknown at this time and it's possible that cases have occurred in other countries that don't have the proper tools to diagnose and contain it.Canada developed a pandemic response plan in 2009, which would serve as the foundation for any shift in the official response to the current outbreak, she said.The response plan includes accelerating research work here and contributing to international efforts to develop a vaccine abroad. Tam said it also could lead to expanding laboratory testing capabilities and access to diagnostic tools, and taking stock of essential supplies to make sure authorities don't run short. She added that Canada's course of action would be much the same whether the WHO declares a pandemic or not.Containment effortsHealth Minister Patty Hajdu said Monday that a pandemic declaration by the WHO would render travel restrictions meaningless because it would mean that efforts to contain the virus had failed."As the window closes in terms of stopping the global spread, as we watch the WHO assess whether or not this is a full pandemic, obviously our attention turns more toward our domestic preparedness and what Canada can do to make sure our system and structures are ready for a change in our own population," she said.The WHO said today that China has reported 77,362 cases of COVID-19, including 2,618 deaths.Outside China, there are now 2,074 cases in 28 countries, including 10 in Canada, and 23 related deaths.Despite the rising numbers, WHO Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said officials are encouraged by the fact that the number of new cases continues to decline in China.The epidemic peaked between Jan. 23 and Feb. 2 and has been steadily declining since, he said.Tedros said a decision on whether to declare a pandemic is based on an ongoing assessment of the geographical spread of the virus, the severity of the disease and its impact on society."For the moment, we are not witnessing the uncontained global spread of this virus, and we are not witnessing large-scale severe disease or death," he said.Pandemic potential"Does this virus have pandemic potential? Absolutely it has. Are we there yet? From our assessment, not yet."Tedros said labelling the outbreak a pandemic could create unnecessary fear.Tam said that the goal now is to slow the spread of the virus, adding it's difficult to stop its spread because more countries are reporting people with no or mild symptoms.Canada has been successful so far in detecting imported cases and preventing person-to-person spread within communities, but is preparing for other scenarios, Tam said.Tam said enhanced border control measures and messaging at airports will be broadened to include warnings to travellers returning from other countries with reported cases of coronavirus.She said international travellers arriving at Canadian airports will be told to self-isolate if they're experiencing flu-like symptoms.Tam said all travellers should take general precautions and plan ahead by, for instance, making sure they have enough medication for a trip.She repeated the standard public health messages encouraging people to wash their hands frequently, cover coughs and sneezes, keep track of federal travel health advice posted online and share travel history with health-care providers in the event of becoming sick.
- Sports Sporting News
The 2020 NHL trade deadline day has come and passed, with some notable moves taking place. Sporting News hands out grades to each trade of significance that went down.