Topic

Coronavirus in Canada

Latest news and updates on the global coronavirus pandemic. Keep up-to-date on numbers of COVID-19 cases and deaths, analysis of the government's response and other stories from the Canada and around the world.

COVID-19 Around the World

COVID-19 Q&A

Can you be permanently immune to COVID-19? Probably not, doctor says

People who have been infected and recovered from COVID-19 can have a short window of immunity, but it likely won’t stay that way, infectious disease expert with Trillium Health Partners, Dr. Sumon Chakrabarti says.
  • 01:26
  • 02:05
  • 01:05
  • 01:41
  • 03:09
  • 01:45
  • 01:55

Latest News

  • The Canadian Press

    Rapids, FC Cincinnati report positive COVID-19 tests

    Colorado's MLS game against Sporting Kansas City has been postponed after a Rapids player and three staff members tested positive for the coronavirus.A player for FC Cincinnati also tested positive and is in isolation, the team announced. The player, who was not identified, was symptomatic, the team said.The Rapids suspended training while the player and staff members who tested positive were isolated. They were not identified. The team has conducted additional testing and contact tracing.The match between the Rapids and Sporting in Commerce City, Colorado, originally scheduled for Sunday, is the first game to be postponed because of positive COVID-19 cases since the teams returned to play in their local markets following the MLS is Back tournament in Florida.The match has not yet been rescheduled.Cincinnati's match against NYCFC set for Saturday night at Red Bull Arena was not postponed.It is the first time that a Cincinnati player has been confirmed as positive. The team said all other players and staff members had negative results.___More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_SportsAnne M. Peterson, The Associated Press

  • The Canadian Press

    Falcons top pick Terrell placed on COVID-19 reserve list

    FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. — The Atlanta Falcons placed first-round pick A.J. Terrell on the COVID-19 reserve list on Saturday, dealing another blow to the winless team's secondary heading into Sunday's game against the Chicago Bears.The Falcons (0-2) had already ruled out cornerback Kendall Sheffield (foot) and safety Ricardo Allen (elbow) because of injuries.Now, they'll face the Bears (2-0) without Terrell, the No. 16 overall pick out of Clemson.Atlanta promoted linebacker Edmond Robinson and cornerbacks Delrick Abrams Jr. and Tyler Hall from the practice squad, electing to carry 55 players in Sunday's game.Robinson is a seventh-round pick of the Vikings in 2015 who has played 22 career games. Abrams and Hall are undrafted rookies.___More AP NFL: https://apnews.com/NFL and https://twitter.com/AP_NFLThe Associated Press

  • The Canadian Press

    The latest numbers on COVID-19 in Canada for Sept. 26

    The latest numbers of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Canada as of 2:25 p.m. EDT on Sept. 26, 2020:There are 151,654 confirmed cases in Canada._ Quebec: 71,005 confirmed (including 5,821 deaths, 60,660 resolved)_ Ontario: 49,340 confirmed (including 2,837 deaths, 42,507 resolved)_ Alberta: 17,343 confirmed (including 261 deaths, 15,585 resolved)_ British Columbia: 8,641 confirmed (including 230 deaths, 7,036 resolved)_ Saskatchewan: 1,846 confirmed (including 24 deaths, 1,681 resolved)_ Manitoba: 1,829 confirmed (including 19 deaths, 1,265 resolved)_ Nova Scotia: 1,087 confirmed (including 65 deaths, 1,021 resolved)_ Newfoundland and Labrador: 272 confirmed (including 3 deaths, 267 resolved)_ New Brunswick: 200 confirmed (including 2 deaths, 191 resolved)_ Prince Edward Island: 58 confirmed (including 57 resolved)_ Yukon: 15 confirmed (including 15 resolved)_ Repatriated Canadians: 13 confirmed (including 13 resolved)_ Northwest Territories: 5 confirmed (including 5 resolved)_ Nunavut: No confirmed cases_ Total: 151,654 (0 presumptive, 151,654 confirmed including 9,262 deaths, 130,303 resolved)This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept. 26, 2020.The Canadian Press

  • PA Media: UK News

    Students ‘scared and confused’ as halls locked down ‘without warning’

    One Manchester Metropolitan University student described a 'big freak-out' as security staff arrived without warning.

  • CBC

    Sask. Health Authority issues COVID-19 alerts in 3 communities; Melfort Mustangs player tests positive

    The Saskatchewan Health Authority issued COVID-19 exposure alerts in three communities on Friday, as a Saskatchewan hockey team in Melfort said one of its players has tested positive. The health authority warned Friday of potential COVID-19 exposures at two businesses in Rosetown, which were visited by a person who was likely infectious: * Shop Easy — 118 First Ave. E. on Sept. 15, 16, 17, from 8:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. * Co-op Home Centre — 310 Highway 7 W., on Sept. 18, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.The SHA said a person or persons visited numerous businesses in Prince Albert while they were likely infectious. On Sept. 18 they visited: * Kal Tire — 300 38th St. E., between 9:30-10:30 a.m. * Kal Tire — 300 38th St. E., 1:30-2:30 p.m. * Shaw Communications — 2990 Second Ave. W., 11:30 a.m.-12 noon * Vu's Garden Restaurant — 2805 Sixth Ave. E., 12:00 noon -12:30 p.m. * Canaba Cannabis — 3332 Second Ave. W., 12:30-1:30 p.m. * Lake Country Co-op Cornerstone Gas Bar — 801 15th St. E., 3:00-3:30 p.m.On Sept. 21, the person visited: * Harold's Family Foods — 200 28th St. E., 11:00 a.m.-12 noon * Source for Sports — 365 Marquis Rd. W., 12:30-1:30 p.m. * Walmart — 800 15th St. E., 1:30-2:30 p.m. * Real Canadian Superstore — 591 15th St. E., 3:30-4:30 p.m.The health authority also issued a warning of potential exposure in Yorkton at the Pumphouse Athletic Club, at 27B Second Ave. N. on Sept. 18, between 5:30 p.m. and 7 p.m., and on Sept. 19 from 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m."Public Health officials are advising individuals who were at this location on the specified dates during the specified times to self-monitor for 14 days," the SHA said. "If you have had or develop symptoms of COVID-19, immediately self-isolate and call HealthLine 811 to arrange for testing."Melfort Mustangs player tests positiveThe Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League, the Melfort Mustangs and the City of Melfort issued a brief statement on Friday afternoon saying a player for the Mustangs tested positive for COVID-19. "The player and the close contacts have been identified and contacted by the local Public Health office and have been advised to self-isolate," the statement said. The statement said Saskatchewan Health Authority guidelines were followed and are being followed by the affected person, and there was limited contact in the community.

  • The Canadian Press

    Police clash with protesters at UK COVID-19 demonstration

    London police clashed with demonstrators on Saturday as they broke up a protest in Trafalgar Square against COVID-19 restrictions amid rising tensions over limits on everyday life as the government tries to stem a sharp rise in infections.Police and protesters were injured when officers moved in after three hours of speeches in front of thousands of people who packed the iconic square in London waving placards opposing mandatory vaccinations, face mask requirements and limits on civil liberties.Police said they intervened because the demonstrators refused to comply with the very social-distancing rules they were there to protest. Officers removed sound equipment, bottles were thrown and police drew their batons in confrontations with protesters. Several people were seen being led away in handcuffs.“Crowds in Trafalgar Square have not complied with the conditions of their risk assessment and are putting people in danger of transmitting the virus,’’ the Met said.The demonstration was held as Parliament prepares to review COVID-19 legislation and the government imposes new restrictions to control the disease. Some lawmakers have criticized the government for implementing the rules without parliamentary approval.Speakers at the rally denied they were conspiracy theorists, arguing they were standing up for freedom of expression and human rights.Dan Astin-Gregory, a leadership trainer, acknowledged the deaths and suffering caused by the pandemic, but said the response to COVID-19 has been out of proportion to the threat caused by the disease.“We are tired of the fear mongering and the misrepresentation of the facts,” he told the crowd. “We are tired of the restrictions to our freedoms.?The government earlier this week ordered a 10 p.m. curfew on bars and restaurants nationwide, along with tougher facemask requirements and increased fines for non-compliance. It has also banned most social gatherings of more than six people, but there is an exemption for protests as long as organizers submit a risk assessment and comply with social distancing rules.Before the demonstration began, police said they would encourage protesters to follow the rules, but they would take enforcement action if protesters failed to comply.“I know there is great frustration to these regulations, but they have been designed to keep everyone safe from what is a lethal virus,” Cmdr. Ade Adelekan said Saturday morning.As the demonstration began, officers in high-visibility vests and surgical masks were visible around the perimeter of the square but there was no effort to silence speakers or prevent protesters from gathering.The atmosphere turned tense later in the afternoon as officers in soft caps were replaced by others wearing riot helmets and face shields. As some protesters shouted, “You’re part of the tyranny,” others sang, “All you need is love.”Saturday’s demonstration came a week after a similar event during which thousands of people crowded into Trafalgar Square. Police said several officers were hurt during that event when a “small minority’’ of protesters became violent.Britain has Europe’s worst death toll from the pandemic, with nearly 42,000 confirmed deaths tied to COVID-19. New infections, hospitalizations and deaths have all risen sharply in recent weeks.In addition to the nationwide COVID-19 rules, several jurisdictions have imposed tighter restrictions to control local spikes in the disease. By Monday, about one-quarter of the U.K.’s 65 million people will be living under these heightened restrictions.London, home to almost 9 million people, on Friday was added to the British government’s COVID-19 watchlist as an “area of concern.” That means the U.K. capital also could face new restrictions if infections continue to rise in the cityDanica Kirka, The Associated Press

  • CBC

    Non-resident tests positive for COVID-19 while in Yukon

    A non-resident has tested positive for COVID-19 while in Yukon and is the first case to be hospitalized in the territory, according to the territory's chief medical officer.The person is at the Whitehorse General Hospital in stable condition, Dr. Brendan Hanley told CBC News on Saturday. Hanley said that the person is a Canadian resident and would not disclose which jurisdiction they came from, but he did say they contracted the illness outside of the territory."The infection was acquired outside of Yukon," Hanley said.The person was asymptomatic when they arrived, he said, and developed symptoms over the past few days.As this person is not a Yukon resident, this case will not be included in Yukon's case count, Hanley said.He also confirmed this is the first time someone has been hospitalized for COVID-19 in the territory. "The patient is stable in hospital, well cared for, and all appropriate precautions and infection control practices were applied right from the beginning," said Hanley.He said the hospital is "fully prepared" to manage, treat, and care for patients with the illness.'Limited exposure scenario'The territory said in a news release Saturday morning that the public health risk associated with this case is low, based on a risk assessment done by Yukon Communicable Disease Control.Hanley said that the person tested positive Friday morning, and contact tracing is well underway."We are really dealing with a very limited exposure scenario here," he said."The contacts in the Yukon are very limited, the person did all the right things in terms of getting tested when symptoms occurred, doing the self-isolation while waiting for the results."He said the territory will not be naming the locations in the territory that the person visited, after assessing the exposure risk on Friday."We have done public notifications before for other cases, but in this case there were no public exposures of any significant risk, and so we didn't have to publish any public notification."As of Friday at 2 p.m., the territory had 15 confirmed and recovered cases of COVID-19, according to the government's website.

  • Yahoo News UK

    Pubs, restaurants and cafés ‘contributed to a fifth of COVID-19 infections’

    Some MPs have asked to see evidence behind giving pubs a 10pm curfew.

  • The Canadian Press

    Quebec injects $85 million into schools to fight COVID-19 pandemic

    QUEBEC — The Quebec government is investing $85 million in schools to adapt to the new reality of COVID-19.About $25 million of that amount will be used to train and hire employees to better supervise students during the pandemic.The Ministry of Education says schools can also use the cash to take on staff for maintenance and disinfection.Another $25 million will go toward improving distance learning through subscriptions to educational resources as well as teacher training.In addition, $20 million will be invested in school ventilation and the remaining $15 million will be injected into school transport for new buses and drivers.The announcement came as Quebec reported 698 new cases of COVID-19 today, the highest single-day tally since May.In a press release Saturday morning, Education Minister Jean-Francois Roberge said these investments meet community demands."They will make it possible to more effectively support all preschool, elementary and secondary school students, and more particularly those who have fallen behind due to the pandemic," he said.This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept. 26, 2020.The Canadian Press

  • CBC

    No new cases of COVID-19 in New Brunswick

    Public Health has reported no new cases of COVID-19 in New Brunswick on Saturday.The number of active cases remains at seven and the total number of cases is 200. There are four active cases in the Moncton region, one in the Miramichi region and one in the Bathurst region. Another case is attributed to New Brunswick but the person is in Ontario and is staying there to recover. There is also a Quebec resident who works in the Campbellton region who tested positive Thursday. That person is not included in the New Brunswick case count, but contact tracing is being conducted in New Brunswick to identify people who may have come into contact with this individual. Two people have died since the first New Brunswick case was reported on March 11, and 191 have recovered.On Friday, 753 tests were conducted for COVID-19, bringing the total to 73,734.What to do if you have a symptomPeople concerned they might have COVID-19 symptoms can take a self-assessment test on the government website at gnb.ca. Public Health says symptoms shown by people with COVID-19 have included: a fever above 38 C, a new cough or worsening chronic cough, sore throat, runny nose, headache, new onset of fatigue, new onset of muscle pain, diarrhea, loss of sense of taste or smell, and difficulty breathing. In children, symptoms have also included purple markings on the fingers and toes.People with one of those symptoms are asked to: * Stay at home. * Call Tele-Care 811 or their doctor. * Describe symptoms and travel history. * Follow instructions.

SHARE THIS PAGE